Sunday, April 22, 2012

Plants for Pots

April 21, 2012
We went to Lowe's and purchased flowers for pots and some trees.  We found a Prairie fire Crab apple tree to replace the one the deer got to and an arborvitae to replace our dead one.  Flowers for the pots include:  white osteospermum, geraniums $2 a piece, petunias, African marigolds, lobelia, mini daisies, all for $2 a six pack.  I'm still waiting for dracaena spikes for the middles and then I can plant!
 
I went to a container gardening class for Relief Society.  Things I learned:
  • Metal isn't a good container.  It gets too hot.  Ceramic and wood are the best but plastic and teracota work just fine.
  • When you read a little plant tag, in Nevada err on the side of planting in too much shade.  They are set up for California weather and we are hotter than they are.
  •  Plant in good potting soil.  Potting soil that contains coconut fiber tastes delicious to the plants.  They will be happy!
  • For fertilizer, make sure you use a flower fertilizer to help with blooms.  Release capsules are great cause they last longer.  (I still like my miracle grow even if I have to do it more often.  
  • Soil moist is good - its like the stuff that is in diapers.  keeps the dirt wet.
  • Sea weed extract.  Use this to dip the plants in before you transplant them.  It makes them happy!  Its also good for houseplants.  

1 comment: